Skip to main content

A Nine-Hour Drive and Mammoth Cave

A day after the airplane ride that brought us back from Cuba, my family and I headed over to St. Catharines for one more visit to family before the big trip. With a delicious breakfast to fuel us, we set off on a nine- hour ride to Kentucky in the car. I brought as many things to do as I could, and I hope they don’t run out. Among the most important things was my Kobo, three books (I was only allowed to bring three) and as many writing tools as I could find.
The first six hours or so of the drive went by faster than I would’ve expected. We stopped for lunch at a Subway where this guy thought it was really cool when my dad used tap with his credit card. We listened to some recorded This Is That shows. (If you haven’t heard of that, it’s a radio show where the hosts tell fake stories that are hilarious. It’s now finished- the last episode was just a while ago.) The last three hours went by very slowly- I would look at the GPS’s countdown of how long we had left to drive, and only a few minutes would’ve gone by. The moral of my last sentence is: “Never go anywhere without chocolate peanuts!” Without chocolate peanuts, I wouldn’t have survived.
We stayed at a motel in Kentucky that wasn’t too far from Mammoth Cave National Park- we were less than an hour away. When we arrived there our tour wasn’t for another couple of hours, so we went hiking. I had not seen a spring before, but on the hike we saw one. Verdict: Weird and bubbly.
When it was time for the tour, we took a bus to a manmade entrance to the cave. Our tour guide was very funny when he was telling us some history of the cave- he told us about this person named George who explored the caves. The funny part was “And when George discovered the entrance to the cave, since he was a very brave man, he sent his nephew Earl down to check it out.”
For me, the best part of the tour in the caves was a large room filled with stalactites and stalagmites. Apparently it takes a few hundred years for the stalactites to get as long as a marshmallow, and these stalactites and stalagmites were certainly longer than marshmallows. There was an option to go down more stairs and look at another room called the Drapery Room, which my family accepted, and it was even more filled with stalactites and stalagmites. The Drapery Room was very tall and not very wide, and if you looked up the walls looked like draped curtains, obviously how the room got its name.




The Mammoth Caves was awesome, but in my next blog post I am going to write about my favourite place so far. The next place that I am going to write about is a place that you absolutely must go someday if you’re a fan of The Hobbit, a fan of dogs, or a fan of chickens.
I hope you keep up with the blog!
-Lucy 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloudland Canyon State Park

On Wednesday night we headed over to Forest Gully Farms where we stayed one night, in wonderful houses built in side hills. I don’t know much about The Hobbit, but I do know that the houses that we stayed in looked like Hobbit houses. There at Forest Gully Farms we met a very nice man who showed us around. We went to see some of there chickens, because we were told that we could hold them. After I had chased chickens around for awhile I caught a beautiful black one. Right now, after Forest Gully Farms we are staying at a wonderful campsite where there are wonderful hiking trails. Cloudland Canyon State Park is wonderful! So far we have been hiking every day. On the first day we started with a small hike but then it got bigger. Before we started heading back, because I was already really tired, my mom saw another waterfall that she wanted to see. To get there, you needed to go down, and to go down, you needed to take the stairs. So we went down the, approximately five hundred sta

Swimming with the Manatees

       Today was one of the the best activities of the trip so far. One of the very first things that we planned for this trip was to go swimming with the manatees, an activity that was first discovered by Miriam as she looked through one of our research books. Everyone has been looking forward to it for a long time, even though we had to get up pretty early in the morning. And it was worth it.        Mama’s alarm clock woke us at five-thirty , at which time we had to scramble into a bathing suit, grab our clothing, and go. Swimming with the manatees is best in the morning, which is why we had to leave early. We ate three hurried muffins in the car and arrived soon after. It was still pretty dark when we got to the building, so we just went in to wait for the manatee to start. Luckily, hot chocolate was provided.        Soon, a woman guided us and several other people into a room to watch a movie about how to behave on our tour. (Don’t touch the manatees unless they come to you,

The Actual, Real Hobbit

After Mammoth Caves, we camped for two nights in Nashville before moving on to a place that for Miriam and I was secret. We made seveural guesses as to where we were going, but none of them were exact. The closest one was one of mine- I guessed that the place we were staying was underground. Based on my mom and dad’s reactions, I thought that I might be close, but I did not know the full extent of it at all. We arrived at a place that at first looked normal. Two friendly dogs named Jedi and Trooper ran up to greet us, so I spent the first several minutes of our visit trying to figure out if it was possible to pet two dogs at once. The answer to that question, by the way, is no. Then we saw where we would be staying. You might remember that on my last post, I mentioned that if you’re a fan of The Hobbit you’d better read this one. And that’s because where we were staying literally looked like a series of hobbit holes. The first hole was the most like a hobbit hole-