Skip to main content

Saying Goodbye to Winter


Wishing for warmer temperature (and more sunshine) is common this time of year. I really enjoy winter, but usually by March I have joined the 'complainers,' wishing away the cold dark days in favour of something else. I have only escaped winter three times in my life. When I was in elementary school my family drove south to Myrtle Beach for March Break. When I was a teenager my family spent a week in Disney World in November. Most recently, when our kids were younger (2012) we spent March Break at a house in the Bahamas with our good friends.

This year marks the fourth time I have abandoned winter, but this time we are leaving it for good, not just for a week. On Thursday we are going to Cuba with some very dear friends of ours. It will be our first trip to a resort ever (maybe our only one ever!) and it marks the beginning of our adventures away from home this year. When we return from Cuba we will only have one day to pack and get organized before we leave on the big road trip, so winter is essentially over for us already.

We did our best to make the most of this winter. We skied downhill and cross country about once each week, even when it was bitterly cold. This weekend we went up to our cottage so we could enjoy a few more peaceful days of winter weather, and were very lucky that we were able to skate on the lake in addition to snowshoeing and skiing. We love winter, and I have to say it is wonderful to be leaving it before we get too tired of wet boots, cold fingers, and icy driveways.


Downhill skiing at Mount St. Louis. Lots of great sunsets this year, even though they were at 5PM. :)


Cross country skiing in -20°C weather at Springwater Park. We were warm when we were moving.


A beautiful - warm! - day in Niagara Falls during our last visit with family. It was Monday and VERY strange not to be at work/school.


Skating at Nathan Phillips Square. We missed the Leafs outdoor practice by an hour or so.


Snowshoeing in the forest. Glorious sunshine and really cool ice formations on the rocks.


Skating on a frozen lake. For me, this remains one of the most magical winter experiences.


We estimate that we had about 5 rinks' worth of ice all to ourselves.


Skiing across the lake.




Comments

  1. Love the winter pics, Amy- especially the downhill skiing and lake skating! You do a great job of embracing winter and all the beauty and fun it affords. ❄️❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swapping snow for sandy beaches? Está volao!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

‘Ksan to Saskatoon

June 17, 2019 After leaving ‘Ksan campground we spent one night at Purden Lake Provincial Park (close to Prince George). Purden Lake was pretty but had tons of mosquitos. We struggled to survive dinner and campfire. Next we drove to Jasper National Park for 2 nights at Wabasso Campground. Regarding Jasper:  Wow, wow, wow! Beautiful. We went to hang out with the Knights at an H.I. (Hostels International) in the town of Jasper. Miriam almost exploded in anticipation of seeing Maya. The hostel itself is brand new and not even complete constructing. It is huge and offered plenty of kitchen and dining/lounging space for us to prepare dinner and eat it. It was a lovely reunion. The next morning we drove out and hiked Maligne Canyon with the Knights. I know we’ve seen several spectacular canyons on this trip but here was another one with its own beauty. We climbed to a nice lookout for lunch near Fifth Bridge. Here I showed the Knights our tapir figurine. Maya took him to play...

Almost time!

I can't wait in till the trip comes. It is creeping closer and closer and we are planing more and more as the days go on. We recently got a message saying that we are going to go on the fairy's that we wanted to. I don't know how I will feel so far away from home and for such a long time, but I know that it will be worth it to see all those things and experience moments that others might not. Their is so much ahead of me and it's all going through my head at once but once the trip starts it will hopefully lay out. All the places that we are going to and things that we will see are planed out now so we at least know where we are planing to go. For now we need to savor our moments with friends and keep packing and thinking of important items. This road trip is going to be the highlight for this year so it's best that we just sit back, and enjoy the ride.                             ...