Skip to main content

The Actual, Real Hobbit

After Mammoth Caves, we camped for two nights in Nashville before moving on to a place that for Miriam and I was secret. We made seveural guesses as to where we were going, but none of them were exact. The closest one was one of mine- I guessed that the place we were staying was underground. Based on my mom and dad’s reactions, I thought that I might be close, but I did not know the full extent of it at all.
We arrived at a place that at first looked normal. Two friendly dogs named Jedi and Trooper ran up to greet us, so I spent the first several minutes of our visit trying to figure out if it was possible to pet two dogs at once. The answer to that question, by the way, is no. Then we saw where we would be staying. You might remember that on my last post, I mentioned that if you’re a fan of The Hobbit you’d better read this one. And that’s because where we were staying literally looked like a series of hobbit holes. The first hole was the most like a hobbit hole- the door was circular and green, just like Bilbo’s! It was set into the side of a hill so that the roof was the hill, like hobbit holes, though unlike the home of Bilbo Baggins, it only had one room. Instead of an entire network of rooms inside of one door, there were three little hobbit holes. Two were bedrooms, one a kitchen. Inside the kitchen hobbit hole was a book for people to write about their stay in, and my favourite entry I can quote exactly: “The place is amazing. Reminds me of home back in the shire.
After getting acquainted with our new temporary home, we were shown around the farm by the main person that keeps it up and running, a man named Jon. Most of the time I just half-listened to Jon as he talked about the place, because although it was quite interesting, there were dogs to pet. I did learn the main bit- Jon likes to experiment and let nature grow where it wants to. If there’s a way that he can use a plant, he will use it. But my favourite part of the tour was when we were shown to a chicken coop. We brought in some stuff for the chickens to eat- clovers and wild onions and such- and fed them. I GOT TO PICK UP A CHICKEN!!!!! (Though it was quite a tricky business- they did not really love being picked up, despite the fact that they allowed it.)
When it got dark, we toasted marshmallows (there was a fire pit) and drank hot chocolate. Then we went off into our separate hobbit holes, Miriam with me and Mama with Daddy. Miriam and I stayed up talking for a while. After Miriam decided that she was done and fell asleep, (with the lights still on) I read for about half an hour. I eventually got up to use the washroom, which I had been denying for that half hour because you have to walk outside for a few minutes to get there. And although this place was of course much warmer than it is in Barrie right now, (I heard about your very snowy days- we just missed them) I didn’t want to. But I eventually did. It was dark and hard to see, but I found the steps (our hobbit holes were in a gully- the place is called Forest Gully Farms) leading up to the washroom. At that point I heard loud barking from Jedi and Trooper. They ran toward me, but upon realizing that I wasn’t a stranger, began rubbing up against me, asking for petting. They accompanied me the rest of the way to the washroom, and after, all the way back.
The next day called for more interaction with the chickens. Mama woke Miriam and I up to go egg-hunting. Well, she was going egg hunting- Miriam and I had the job of distracting the chickens. We headed up to the coop. Miriam snagged lots of raw onion while I grabbed a handful of clover. Then we entered the large space that the chickens have- the space was sort of like a fenced-in outdoor playground for chickens- which was connected to the coop. While we fed (and held) the chickens, Mama collected some eggs for breakfast.
After that whole affair was over and done with, we exited the coop to take a look at Mama’s eggs. She had nine. Seven of them were brown, and the other two... were BLUE. Mama took them back to the kitchen Hobbit hole to prepare them, instructing Miriam and I to pick some onions. I’m not usually a fan of onions, but these were absolutely delicious. I am going to describe that breakfast we had as the best meal on the trip so far. I had one blue egg and one brown egg, both on toast, as well as some leftover potato and steak from the last night’s dinner. Amazing!


Later, after breakfast, we had to pack up and leave, saying a goodbye to the dogs and driving off. But I have promised myself that I will come back sometime in the summer to see the place in full bloom!
        -Lucy




 


 

Comments

  1. Sam says: blue eggs? That's literally amazing!
    Great post Lucy!
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit
    "Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miriam and I were very excited to eat blue eggs!

      Delete
  2. Hello and big hugs to everyone! I just got caught up on all your blog posts and adventures so far... thank you so much, Lucy, Miriam, and Amy for sharing your trip with us! Forest Gully Farms looks AMAZING, but I really enjoyed your pictures and descriptions of the caves and the dripstone columns. That's definitely a place I'd like to go someday. Can't wait to hear about your next adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy, did you spend the night wondering if a bristly wizard was going to knock at your door and send you off on an adventure?? So amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jon and Mandy are the Greg and Hollis of Tennessee!

      Delete
  4. Hi, Lucy!
    Thank you for sharing this post with me! As you already know, I am a HUGE fan of The Lord of the Rings, and am very excited for you (and mildly jealous!) that you got to stay in a real-life hobbit hole! Your trip looks fantastic, and I am glad that you are having a great experience! :)

    The class misses you and wishes you well!

    - Ms. Hall

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cloudland Canyon State Park

On Wednesday night we headed over to Forest Gully Farms where we stayed one night, in wonderful houses built in side hills. I don’t know much about The Hobbit, but I do know that the houses that we stayed in looked like Hobbit houses. There at Forest Gully Farms we met a very nice man who showed us around. We went to see some of there chickens, because we were told that we could hold them. After I had chased chickens around for awhile I caught a beautiful black one. Right now, after Forest Gully Farms we are staying at a wonderful campsite where there are wonderful hiking trails. Cloudland Canyon State Park is wonderful! So far we have been hiking every day. On the first day we started with a small hike but then it got bigger. Before we started heading back, because I was already really tired, my mom saw another waterfall that she wanted to see. To get there, you needed to go down, and to go down, you needed to take the stairs. So we went down the, approximately five hundred sta

Swimming with the Manatees

       Today was one of the the best activities of the trip so far. One of the very first things that we planned for this trip was to go swimming with the manatees, an activity that was first discovered by Miriam as she looked through one of our research books. Everyone has been looking forward to it for a long time, even though we had to get up pretty early in the morning. And it was worth it.        Mama’s alarm clock woke us at five-thirty , at which time we had to scramble into a bathing suit, grab our clothing, and go. Swimming with the manatees is best in the morning, which is why we had to leave early. We ate three hurried muffins in the car and arrived soon after. It was still pretty dark when we got to the building, so we just went in to wait for the manatee to start. Luckily, hot chocolate was provided.        Soon, a woman guided us and several other people into a room to watch a movie about how to behave on our tour. (Don’t touch the manatees unless they come to you,