Skip to main content

Kennedy Space Centre


After our visit to Universal  (which I realize hasn’t been blogged about yet...it’s not my fault...the kids have dibs...but many thanks to Tara and Paula and Addi for being great hosts...I hope I got your spelling correct little cousin!!!) we arrived at around 9PM at Manatee Hammock Campground in Titusville, Florida. It was too late to check in, but we set up in the dark and were so exhausted that we fell asleep almost immediately. In the morning we were delighted by the view from our campsite, and could even see our destination across the water. We tried to check in to the campsite before leaving for the Kennedy Space Center, but were not able to as the office wasn’t open until 10AM.

We had a short drive to the Space Center, and arrived just in time for the playing of the Star Spangled Banner at the entrance to the park, accompanied by a countdown on a large digital countdown clock, which we later found out was the original clock used at the rocket launch viewing site. I am the only one in the family to have visited the KSC before. I went there in 2002 while I was a student at Dalhousie and was attending a conference in Tampa. I didn’t recall everything from my visit, but it was clear that lots had changed since then.

We had a short tour of the rocket garden, then proceeded to the bus tour which took us past the gigantic Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB), the SpaceX hangar and SpaceX Heavy launchpad (launchpad 39A), and the future launchpad of the SLS Rocket (39B). The VAB is as gigantic as I remembered - one of the large doors was open so we could see inside. There was lots of excitement in the air; the SpaceX rocket had launched a few days earlier and we were there 3 days before the next launch.


The bus tour ended at the Apollo/Saturn V museum which I had seen on my previous visit - it was just as awesome the second time! The size of the Saturn V rocket next to its  tiny command module is humbling - weird to think about sitting on top of such a big rocket in such a small compartment. The girls got to touch a moon rock. I passed as I assume it still carries some of my germs from 2002. :)


After lunch outside, we got back on the bus to the rest of the KSC visitor area where we checked out the Space Shuttle Atlantis exhibit. This was completely new to me and it was breathtaking! The initial video about the development of the shuttle ended with the actual Atlantis shuttle being revealed - it is suspended in the centre of the building with its cargo bay doors open and it was incredible to see it up close. The individual tiles and blankets used for heat protection make it look pretty ragged up close; from a distance it looks much more elegant! We had a short tour around the shuttle, then checked out the exhibits throughout the building. All of the exhibits were excellent, including a memorial area to commemorate the Challenger and Columbia disasters. I can vividly remember when the Challenger disaster happened even though I was very young.


We saw a couple other areas of the KSC after that, also great, but those were the highlights for me. The best part for me is to know that the space program is alive and well, and that I will likely be alive to witness some of the next big steps in human space exploration. We will keep our eyes open Friday evening - who knows...maybe we’ll be able to see the shuttle launch from Everglades National Park!

When we returned to the campsite, the office was closed yet again. So, no checking in for us...we tried to check in on our way out of the park the next morning and still no luck. Good thing we booked ahead!!

View of the VAB from our campsite (you can see it between the trees):



Comments

  1. What a view!!! Happy St. Paddy's day 🍀. Hopefully you can find some green beer, or even better, a Guiness somewhere today 🍻.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye to Winter

Wishing for warmer temperature (and more sunshine) is common this time of year. I really enjoy winter, but usually by March I have joined the 'complainers,' wishing away the cold dark days in favour of something else. I have only escaped winter three times in my life. When I was in elementary school my family drove south to Myrtle Beach for March Break. When I was a teenager my family spent a week in Disney World in November. Most recently, when our kids were younger (2012) we spent March Break at a house in the Bahamas with our good friends. This year marks the fourth time I have abandoned winter, but this time we are leaving it for good, not just for a week. On Thursday we are going to Cuba with some very dear friends of ours. It will be our first trip to a resort ever (maybe our only one ever!) and it marks the beginning of our adventures away from home this year. When we return from Cuba we will only have one day to pack and get organized before we leave on the big road ...

‘Ksan to Saskatoon

June 17, 2019 After leaving ‘Ksan campground we spent one night at Purden Lake Provincial Park (close to Prince George). Purden Lake was pretty but had tons of mosquitos. We struggled to survive dinner and campfire. Next we drove to Jasper National Park for 2 nights at Wabasso Campground. Regarding Jasper:  Wow, wow, wow! Beautiful. We went to hang out with the Knights at an H.I. (Hostels International) in the town of Jasper. Miriam almost exploded in anticipation of seeing Maya. The hostel itself is brand new and not even complete constructing. It is huge and offered plenty of kitchen and dining/lounging space for us to prepare dinner and eat it. It was a lovely reunion. The next morning we drove out and hiked Maligne Canyon with the Knights. I know we’ve seen several spectacular canyons on this trip but here was another one with its own beauty. We climbed to a nice lookout for lunch near Fifth Bridge. Here I showed the Knights our tapir figurine. Maya took him to play...

Cloudland Canyon State Park

On Wednesday night we headed over to Forest Gully Farms where we stayed one night, in wonderful houses built in side hills. I don’t know much about The Hobbit, but I do know that the houses that we stayed in looked like Hobbit houses. There at Forest Gully Farms we met a very nice man who showed us around. We went to see some of there chickens, because we were told that we could hold them. After I had chased chickens around for awhile I caught a beautiful black one. Right now, after Forest Gully Farms we are staying at a wonderful campsite where there are wonderful hiking trails. Cloudland Canyon State Park is wonderful! So far we have been hiking every day. On the first day we started with a small hike but then it got bigger. Before we started heading back, because I was already really tired, my mom saw another waterfall that she wanted to see. To get there, you needed to go down, and to go down, you needed to take the stairs. So we went down the, approximately five hundred sta...