Skip to main content

Beach Art

We spent two nights at Montaña de Oro State Park, about halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco on a rugged part of the coast. We used the stop to rest and relax, not hiking farther than the beach though there are a multitude of trails to explore. It was a very primitive campground - no sinks or showers, and no cell service. 

The beach had a stunning variety of rocks - so many colours and patterns that everyone who walked down the beach was compelled to stop and sift through the rocks looking for a treasure. When we arrived at the beach in the morning, the girls and I saw a picture that had been created using some of the rocks. It was a very simple face with a frame, obviously created by a young child. I went for a walk down the beach to explore, and when I returned 20 minutes later I found that Lucy and Miriam had been inspired by the rock art and were focused intently on creating some art of their own. I couldn’t help but join in; I love beach combing, and before long the three of us were all working on our own pictures.

The best part of the rock art was when other people noticed it. They were surprised and delighted. Some of them took pictures and asked questions, while others were inspired to stop and make some of their own art. Only once did a dog off leash cause damage to a couple of the pictures, even though we abandoned the beach for an hour at lunch, another hour to explore some of the caves on the shoreline, and over an hour at dinner time. The girls were still making art after the sun had set, and it was hard to tear them away from the beach.

So many people have asked us if we are homeschooling. The truthful answer is that we are not. I think what we are doing could be called unschooling. We naturally take advantage of teaching moments, and our girls have learned lots that they wouldn’t have learned at home or in school. On this beach at Montaña de Oro, the girls saw an opportunity to make art and they took it. I would not be exaggerating if I said they spent 4-5 hours working on their art, and I’m sure I spent at 2-3 hours myself. They built, changed, and improved their designs and loved sharing their work with the authentic audience on the beach. I’d say that’s a pretty successful art class.


The girls decided not to visit the beach the next morning as we left the park. High tide came during the night, and although we weren’t sure how high the water would come, they decided that they preferred to remember their pictures whole rather than risk seeing them disturbed.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye to Winter

Wishing for warmer temperature (and more sunshine) is common this time of year. I really enjoy winter, but usually by March I have joined the 'complainers,' wishing away the cold dark days in favour of something else. I have only escaped winter three times in my life. When I was in elementary school my family drove south to Myrtle Beach for March Break. When I was a teenager my family spent a week in Disney World in November. Most recently, when our kids were younger (2012) we spent March Break at a house in the Bahamas with our good friends. This year marks the fourth time I have abandoned winter, but this time we are leaving it for good, not just for a week. On Thursday we are going to Cuba with some very dear friends of ours. It will be our first trip to a resort ever (maybe our only one ever!) and it marks the beginning of our adventures away from home this year. When we return from Cuba we will only have one day to pack and get organized before we leave on the big road ...

Cloudland Canyon State Park

On Wednesday night we headed over to Forest Gully Farms where we stayed one night, in wonderful houses built in side hills. I don’t know much about The Hobbit, but I do know that the houses that we stayed in looked like Hobbit houses. There at Forest Gully Farms we met a very nice man who showed us around. We went to see some of there chickens, because we were told that we could hold them. After I had chased chickens around for awhile I caught a beautiful black one. Right now, after Forest Gully Farms we are staying at a wonderful campsite where there are wonderful hiking trails. Cloudland Canyon State Park is wonderful! So far we have been hiking every day. On the first day we started with a small hike but then it got bigger. Before we started heading back, because I was already really tired, my mom saw another waterfall that she wanted to see. To get there, you needed to go down, and to go down, you needed to take the stairs. So we went down the, approximately five hundred sta...

‘Ksan to Saskatoon

June 17, 2019 After leaving ‘Ksan campground we spent one night at Purden Lake Provincial Park (close to Prince George). Purden Lake was pretty but had tons of mosquitos. We struggled to survive dinner and campfire. Next we drove to Jasper National Park for 2 nights at Wabasso Campground. Regarding Jasper:  Wow, wow, wow! Beautiful. We went to hang out with the Knights at an H.I. (Hostels International) in the town of Jasper. Miriam almost exploded in anticipation of seeing Maya. The hostel itself is brand new and not even complete constructing. It is huge and offered plenty of kitchen and dining/lounging space for us to prepare dinner and eat it. It was a lovely reunion. The next morning we drove out and hiked Maligne Canyon with the Knights. I know we’ve seen several spectacular canyons on this trip but here was another one with its own beauty. We climbed to a nice lookout for lunch near Fifth Bridge. Here I showed the Knights our tapir figurine. Maya took him to play...