Skip to main content

Manitoba

Manitoba

June 20, 2019
Yesterday was a day for everyone to just relax and recharge one’s batteries. The kids played at the playground and beach at Echo Lake. I went for a 10km run, a first in a while and therefore tough.
Today we headed out on the 3.5 hr drive to Riding Mountain National Park in our penultimate province: Manitoba. We’re staying at Wasagaming Campground that has more than 700 sites. 
The visitor centre had some really well done taxidermied animals: wild cats, black bears, owls, deer. We also walked to the beach of Clear Lake, which is lovely.
Troop moral is a bit low these days. Lucy and Amy are quite home sick from what I can see. Miriam is quite happy to plan things like the pool game at Grollis’s house a week after we return. I’m sad that less than two weeks of our trip remains and then only 2 months before going back to work.

June 21, 2019
Last night Lucy came back running from the washroom. She was freaking out because she had discovered a tick on her neck. Luckily it wasn’t dug in deep and came out using tweezers without any blood. She was brave.
This morning we drove to the north tip of the park and did 2 hiking trails on the way back south. One trail was on a former lake (Beach Ridges) and the other was the Boreal Trail which must be exciting for many Manitobans that don’t normally see Boreal Forest.
Then we drove 22km on gravel to reach the bison reserve. I’m so glad we did this. Bison (or buffalo) have gone from near extinction (less than 100 in 1890s) to more than 40,000 now. The reserve is separated by a gate on the road that bison can’t cross. There are about 40 of them. When they breed to 50 individuals some are sold off. We saw the whole heard close up beside the road. One even crossed the road in front of us while we were stopped in our car observing. At least 2 babies were drinking milk from their mothers. We knew from a sign nearby that the males and females are separated for part of the year so that calves are born only in spring (usually May). By the fall the calves aren’t drinking mother’s milk but grazing. So the little ones we saw were only 1 or 2 months old.
We saw a black bear alongside the highway today. I also saw one in the evening while doing a 10 km run and then one scurrying away in the bush when I went to the washroom. Bear rich RMNP is.

June 23, 2019
Saturday we drove to Winnipeg. The Louis Riel museum is closed on weekends, despite the government brochure we picked up at the National Park. We tried going to Forks next but the parking was crazy on account of an indigenous peoples festival going on. We went to our condo Air BnB unit.
This morning we had zaps (zapiekanki), something we haven’t been able to have on our trip without an oven. We Face-timed with Grollis and head out to the Canadian Museum for Human Rights (CMHR). We were there from about 11am to 4pm, with a break for picnic lunch outside.
The museum opened in 2014. It is amazing that we as a country have one. The special exhibit right now is about Nelson Mandela.
A volunteer explained to us that the building is designed with corridors lined with alabaster beautifully illuminated from the inside to help people be calm and have an opportunity to absorb what they’ve seen as they walk from level to level. The architecture of the building is extremely unique, bright, open and beautiful. At the top of the building is the Israel Asper tower which offers a splendid view of Forks and Winnipeg.
It is of course a solemn experience, although hopeful as well, I think. Amy and I were wishing the place was closer to Barrie so we could go there with our students.

After the museum we went to check out the Forks. The federal government has done a good job with informative plaques. There’s also a huge astronomy themed circle with various long metal rods pointing at celestial bodies on the circumference (it’s indicated the date and time when they’re visible at the tip). The kids played at a playground at the Forks.

Playground at Riding Mountain NP

At the museum of Human rights

Astronomical sculpture

Mandela exhibit

Tower at the museum of Human Rights

Red chairs at Riding Mountain NP

Miriam and a new friend

Black bear

Museum of Human Rights

Bison

Attempt at elk whispering....

At the forks







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye to Winter

Wishing for warmer temperature (and more sunshine) is common this time of year. I really enjoy winter, but usually by March I have joined the 'complainers,' wishing away the cold dark days in favour of something else. I have only escaped winter three times in my life. When I was in elementary school my family drove south to Myrtle Beach for March Break. When I was a teenager my family spent a week in Disney World in November. Most recently, when our kids were younger (2012) we spent March Break at a house in the Bahamas with our good friends. This year marks the fourth time I have abandoned winter, but this time we are leaving it for good, not just for a week. On Thursday we are going to Cuba with some very dear friends of ours. It will be our first trip to a resort ever (maybe our only one ever!) and it marks the beginning of our adventures away from home this year. When we return from Cuba we will only have one day to pack and get organized before we leave on the big road ...

‘Ksan to Saskatoon

June 17, 2019 After leaving ‘Ksan campground we spent one night at Purden Lake Provincial Park (close to Prince George). Purden Lake was pretty but had tons of mosquitos. We struggled to survive dinner and campfire. Next we drove to Jasper National Park for 2 nights at Wabasso Campground. Regarding Jasper:  Wow, wow, wow! Beautiful. We went to hang out with the Knights at an H.I. (Hostels International) in the town of Jasper. Miriam almost exploded in anticipation of seeing Maya. The hostel itself is brand new and not even complete constructing. It is huge and offered plenty of kitchen and dining/lounging space for us to prepare dinner and eat it. It was a lovely reunion. The next morning we drove out and hiked Maligne Canyon with the Knights. I know we’ve seen several spectacular canyons on this trip but here was another one with its own beauty. We climbed to a nice lookout for lunch near Fifth Bridge. Here I showed the Knights our tapir figurine. Maya took him to play...

Almost time!

I can't wait in till the trip comes. It is creeping closer and closer and we are planing more and more as the days go on. We recently got a message saying that we are going to go on the fairy's that we wanted to. I don't know how I will feel so far away from home and for such a long time, but I know that it will be worth it to see all those things and experience moments that others might not. Their is so much ahead of me and it's all going through my head at once but once the trip starts it will hopefully lay out. All the places that we are going to and things that we will see are planed out now so we at least know where we are planing to go. For now we need to savor our moments with friends and keep packing and thinking of important items. This road trip is going to be the highlight for this year so it's best that we just sit back, and enjoy the ride.                             ...